Ultrafiltration is a low-pressure membrane process used to separate bacteria, viruses, and high molecular
weight compounds colloidal and particulate matters from a feed stream. Ultrafiltration has larger pores and
high permeability with less osmotic effects that allows ultrafiltration to operate at relatively lower
pressure than nanofiltration and reverse osmosis and is therefore it is least costly to operate.
Ultrafiltration is widely used in industry as pretreatment for other forms of purification such as ion
exchange and reverse osmosis, gelatin and protein concentration in the pharmaceutical industry, sugar
clarification in the food and beverage industry, cheese and whey concentration, production of ultra pure
water, clarification of juice, downstream processing, membrane bioreactors, treatment of bleach plant
effluents, and recovery of lignin compounds in the pulp and paper industry. Ultrafiltration can be used to
reject virus, bacteria, pyrogens, endotoxins, and particulates but not ionic species.
Hollow fiber configuration is widely used in the ultrafiltration processes. The benefit of this construction
is that it allows for backwashing of the membrane when the filtrate or product flow rate has decreased due to
accumulation of material on the membrane.
The ultrafiltration membrane is capable of removing colloidal materials, fine suspensions, bacteria, virus,
suspended material and large dissolved molecular weight organic materials.
Advantages of UF over Conventional Media Filtration
Applications of Ultrafiltration
- Improved product quality
- Product SDI typically less than 1
- Removal of virus, and bacteria
- Removal of microbiological matter
- Removal of colloidal matter
- Colloidal Silica Reduction
- Improvement of downstream Reverse Osmosis (RO) performance
- Consistently treated water quality irrespective of changes in feed water quality
- Pretreatment to RO system (brackish and seawater applications)
- Purification of surface and well water for potable applications
- Filtration of industrial water
- Membrane Bio-Reactor
- Wastewater recycle and reuse